Our first Gillett FFA Alumni meeting of the new school year will be at 7:30 in the ag room (105) on Thursday, September 6. We are hoping to discuss the following:
- Gillett FFA Update
- Gillett FFA Brat Fry/Open House – September 18
- FIRE Conference – October 6
- National FFA Convention, October 23-27
- Request for updated FFA Handbooks and Student Manuals.
- Formulating a plan for the alumni (How do we make the alumni meetings worthwhile? What additional events can we do to support the FFA AND agricultural education to educate and involve the community? What can you do to recruit others?)
Over the past few years we have gone through much change from the ag program being reduced in the number of classes being taught to welcoming in a new agriculture instructor and FFA advisor. There has been a group of alumni members that has voiced concern about the decrease of interest in students choosing agriculture classes over other classes and we have been trying to come up with ideas how we can make the agriculture program appeal to more students. This is also true for the Alumni Chapter; we have noticed a decrease in the amount of members attending each meeting and these members feel that it is time to take the Alumni Chapter to the next level.
We are always looking for new voices in the chapter with fresh ideas. We as a chapter would like to begin having an annual event in the fall opposite of the Alumni Auction. Some ideas that were bounced around were having a tractor show, lawn mower drags, or tours of local agricultural businesses; basically find another way to involve the community and promote local, state, and national agriculture.
In conclusion, I encourage you to attend our first meeting on Thursday, September 6th at 7:30pm in the Ag Room. Please bring your ideas and let your voice be heard.
Gillett FFA Alumni President